Data Center RISC Migration Simplifies IT Infrastructure
• Simplify IT infrastructure. With a diverse mix of technologies in its data centers, Gap wanted to use data center migration and technology standardization to simplify its IT infrastructure and reduce long-term operating costs.
• Speed application deployment. Gap wanted to create an automated and scalable private ...cloud that can provide the flexibility and agility for rapid deployment of new applications.
• Industry-standard servers with Intel® Xeon® processors. The Gap IT team migrated its databases and applications to the Red Hat Enterprise Linux* operating system running on servers equipped with the Intel® Xeon® processor 5600 series.
• Fast throughput, high availability. The Intel Xeon processors help provide Gap with the intensive I/O throughput and high availability it needs for online transaction processing (OLTP) and other applications. The company will also simplify deployment and enhance IT availability for stores and distribution centers by moving to a more centralized, automated, and standardized infrastructure.
• Consistent technology. Gap achieved cost savings by moving from a RISC platform onto a Linux environment with Intel® processor–based architecture.
• Improved agility and responsiveness. Building an automated high-availability environment based on Intel processors has helped reduce application deployment time from approximately 60 days to less than one week. Gap can quickly roll out new cloud services and applications to improve the product mix, enhance the customer experience, streamline the supply chain, and help Gap thrive in the highly competitive apparel industry.
• Reduced costs. The company has reduced IT operating and administrative costs, with the savings used to fund additional standardization efforts.
Read the full Data Center RISC Migration Simplifies IT Infrastructure Case Study.